Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil with head coach Unai Emery
Arsenal head coach Unai Emery insists that he has a good relationship with Mesut Ozil but has urged the midfielder to have a bigger impact on the pitch.
After a poor World Cup for Germany and his international retirement over racism claims, Ozil’s future at the Emirates has also looked in doubt.
There were reports of a dispute between Ozil and Emery and speculation that Turkish giants Fenerbahce were preparing a £42m bid for the former Real Madrid man.
Speaking ahead of the trip to Newcastle on Saturday (3pm kick-off), Emery said he had no problem with the 29-year-old.
The Gunners boss told Sky Sports: “[We get on] very well. I have a very good relationship with Mesut and professionally I push him for improvements to give us the best in his qualities and performances.”
Emery wants to see more from the talented midfielder in terms of performances and work-rate, starting with the clash against Newcastle.
“I want to find with him the possibility to do the best, to make decisive passes, to do more near and in the box to score,” Emery told The Guardian.
“He is working for the team to help us with his quality. But he is feeling like I am feeling. He can improve, he can do more. We will work, we will help him, give him the possibility on the pitch to be together, to find his qualities for us.”
Premier League fixtures
Saturday 15 September (3pm unless stated)
- Tottenham Hotspur vs. Liverpool (12.30pm, live on Sky Sports)
- AFC Bournemouth vs. Leicester City
- Chelsea vs. Cardiff City
- Huddersfield Town vs. Crystal Palace
- Manchester City vs. Fulham
- Newcastle United vs. Arsenal
- Watford vs. Manchester United (5.30pm, live on BT Sport)
Sunday 16 September
- Wolves vs. Burnley (1.30pm, live on Sky Sports)
- Everton vs. West Ham United (4pm, live on Sky Sports)
Monday 17 September
- Southampton vs. Brighton and Hove Albion (8pm, live on Sky Sports)