Syrian government forces fighting in Deir Ezzor

Credits 
STRINGER/AFP/Getty Images

Alt Text 
Syrian government forces fighting in Deir Ezzor

US says air strikes were ‘self defence’ against pro-Syrian government attack

One-Minute Read

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 – 5:54am

A US airstrike on pro-Assad forces in Syria’s Deir Ezzor province last week has reportedly killed “scores” of Russian mercenaries, according to reports from Russia and the US.

There are varying reports of the precise number of casualties, however Bloomberg has reported “more than 200 contract soldiers, mostly Russians” died during a failed attack on a joint US and Kurdish base in the oil-rich region.

According to US Central Command, American and Kurdish forces came under fire from a tank, prompting three hours of intensive air strikes against an estimated 300 to 500 fighters loyal to Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad.

The Guardian says that if the high number of casualties is confirmed, it would be “the most lethal clash between US and Russian citizens since the end of the cold war.”

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov has told media that Moscow has “no information about the deaths of any Russian mercenaries in Syria”, adding that they only keep track of “Russian forces servicemen”, and not other Russians who “could be in Syria.”

Featured Articles

Lynette White case prompts call for longer jail terms
St Mirren confident they can keep manager Jack Ross at Paisley - at least until they win the Championship

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This
Read previous post:
St Mirren confident they can keep manager Jack Ross at Paisley – at least until they win the Championship

ST MIRREN are confident of keeping manager Jack Ross until the end of what is shaping up to be a...

Close